8 Dollar Bed
My boyfriend read this to me - something a friend of his (Jake Nyberg) wrote and I thought it might be a bit of a thought provoker...
Tonight I saw Brian Setzer's Christmas show at the State in Minneapolis. November 16th a bit early for a Christmas show, you say? Perhaps, but there were signs all over the city that winter had indeed set in. The visible breath of pedestrians, the blinking "11" on the TCF time & temp sign and the holiday decorations in the windows of Target (okay, so perhaps those have been up since August) all pointed to a shift in the seasons.So what do we think in these situations? What do we do when faced with somone asking for money like this?
There was one more sign, though, that the winds of winter had indeed blown in.
As my friend and I stood outside the State, listening to a man play bop tunes on his saxophone for loose change, we were approached by another man who was clutching tightly to a folded-up blanket. The man's tired eyes peeked up at us from beneath the edge of an old stocking hat, his unkempt moustache covered in frozen snot.
"Um, ex-excuse me sir, I was wondering if y-you got a f-few bucks man..."
His speech was slurred slightly, but then again, so was mine... after all, it was damn cold outside. I asked him what was up and he explained that he needed eight dollars to get a bed at Harbor Lights, a Salvation Army shelter two blocks away from the State. He continued,
"It's... I mean... I mean it's cold, man. It's real cold."
My friend and I reached into our wallets and gathered $10 for the man. I offered him the rest of my tea and he nodded, quickly raising the half-empty cup to his mouth and drinking it down. I wished him good luck, as I knew he was about to go wait to see if he would be one of the winners in the bed lottery at Harbor Lights. As hard as it is for homeless women and children to get beds in this town, it’s even harder for single men.
As we turned from the man and walked into the theater, a few thoughts hit me that I have struggled with since. The first was a sense of pride about "what we had just done" for that man. This "good feeling" about having helped someone "less fortunate" than you is completely natural... but I believe that it only stems from the second feeling I had, which was guilt. I often feel insanely guilty and rather hypocritical when I claim to worship a homeless man on Sunday and then ignore them by the dozens the rest of my week.
"But I can't possibly help EVERY homeless person I see," I tell myself, "besides, most of them would just use the money for..."
And there it was. The lie that has been planted and cultivated in me and a lot of other well-meaning followers of Jesus. I don't mean the lie that a homeless person might well be an addict - sadly, many are (then again, so are many white collar suburbanites as well)—but rather, the lie that what a beggar (someone who has become so desperate that they are willing to accept certain humiliation, ridicule and even punishment in order to survive) does with the money I give is of any concern to me as one who attempts to live by a radical, grace-soaked creed of love for my neighbor.
You see, the lie says, "well, they might spend it on booze," but Jesus says, "give to those that ask of you." Period. There were no disclaimers, no caveats about making sure they had an expense breakdown for the crumpled-up dollar you tossed into their hat as you walked by with eyes averted. No, Jesus asked his followers to give in the way his father gave - recklessly and without distinction.
It is by this sort of grace - this sort of radical love - that we are called to live. After all, did god ask us what we were going to do with god's grace before lavishing it upon us? It is through the reckless, life-invading grace of a creator that IS love that we come to understand a little about God here and there, and perhaps the key is that our creator came close to us in Jesus.
Tossing a dollar (or ten) in the direction of a homeless man is one thing. Skipping a concert and taking that man to dinner would have been an entirely different matter. Why didn't I do that? Perhaps it was because I didn't want to miss a hot rockabilly rendition of "Here Comes Santa Claus." More than likely, though, I let the man go because to talk with him over dinner would have been to stare into the face of Jesus and I, like most Christians, am simply not ready for that close of an encounter with a savior who calls me to lose my life in order to find it.
A heart cannot be bought. It must be broken... little, by little.
Thank you, Lord.


3 Comments:
perhaps we try and ignore that we've been asked. preferring instead to sidle away from the arkwardness of the question.
So it would seem...!
I struggle with the idea that we should give 'recklessly and without distinction,' as I've recently been involved with a group who have been supporting a guy who is now housed, aged 32 for the first time since leaving care. He has drug and alcohol addictions, and mental health issues - not exactly the same as every other homeless person, but certainly not an uncommon story.
My problem is this; there has been a definite cycle, of giving up booze, feeling rough, picking up, hitting a downer, getting drunk again, which leads to a downwards spiral, which leads to I've lost count of how many scuicide attempts.
Now the people he has begged money from to spend on booze don't know this, the people he has begged money off to get heroin don't know this, and they haven't had to pick up the pieces afterwards.
Our Church has come to a very painful conclusion that for all the support and love we have given him, ultimately this has only enabled him to lead a self destructive lifestyle, and so now all support revolves around him keeping appointments and getting into rehab. He's so far had 2 places, and dropped out after a matter of days. He currently has a place waiting, he just has to say yes.
But the thing is, I wouldn't give him money - and not because i don't care - because i don't want to see him six foot under before he has chance to be redemeed in every sense. Food, train tickets lifts so he can get to appointments, time to chat, yes - money, no.
And If I wouldn't give money for that reason - how can I in good conscience give money to others in the same situation, knowing it may do more harm than good?
I'm not sure that just giving money is what Jesus was after - if we are really going to allow that Jesus was a radical teacher then if someone says "i need shelter," surely we should provide for that - maybe a b and b - more expensive than $10, but actually addressing the need expressed, rather than just chucking money at it? And to be honest, while most of us couldn't afford $10 or even £10 every day, for most us, we could give that away every now and then without the family going hungry - so how is that 'going the extra mile?' Surely the point is that we give not as a cheap salve to the conscience but actually as an act of care to the individual?
Post a Comment
<< Home