erm....
Re: church growth agenda in youth work
I’m think I feel that pressure - to see numerical growth etc. but I’m struggling to put my finger on where that pressure is coming from. I’ve got to be honest and say that my vicar is actually pretty cool, and is def. not putting that pressure on me. But where do I feel it from? Is it from within my church, within my head, from other youth workers/ministers/ministries around the city? I dunno.
Thoughts at all….


3 Comments:
Think sometimes it is a natural pressure we put on ourselves. How do we measure effectiveness in our ministry? (and yes, we all know the tools and ways to measure things well but it is not always enough, esp. when feeling low)Even though we claim numbers are not a good measuring stick, it is often our fall back position when we do not have the bright spots and good news stories flowing thick and fast.
Where does it come from? Its in the world around us, everywhere! Everything is about "bigger" and "better", image over substance etc.
Yet youth ministry "outcomes" are not so easy to measure and it often the long haul that counts
It's a bit of a tightrope, ay! On one hand it's GOOD to see numerical growth... but in line with previous comments, it's not always the best indicator of the overall health of our ministries, or the impact on the develpment of the youth we work with.
So - ask yourself, are you working in line with what God is doing? Are you giving God your best?
Then stop beating yourself up about it, and acknowlege that God has a pretty big say in how it all pans out anyhow!
Peace,
K
Post a Comment
<< Home