Radio 2
Young people cannot embrace a religious faith. They do not have the intellectual capacity to do such a thing.
This was a comment on BBC Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show as they were discussing the 16 year old girl who was expelled from a school in Derby for wearing a cross and chain. The woman who made this comment was Carole Salla (not sure about surname) and was very strongly opposing that people should wear anything religious in schools. After the very interesting comment was made a church children's worker phoned into the programme and defended the church's corner on children and spirituality. She commented that spirituality had nothing to do with intellect and then was bashed for indoctrinating her own 4 year old daughter. She did very well I thought.
Did anyone hear it? You can hear the whole programme on www.bbc.co.uk/radio2 and go to the listen again section. This segment is in the last 20 minutes of the programme. Thought it would be an interesting topic of conversation, especially as the "Spirituality is..." conference is next week...anyone here going?
This is my first post... so be gentle.
Phil G (aka Holyphil, Actingphil, Actualphil, Phil)


3 Comments:
I did hear it and was tempted to phone in after the comment you mention but didn’t as I had to pop out and so missed the end, but it was an interesting comment to make especially when she also said something about not being religious herself, how can she comment on something she has not experienced? I know of a young person now 18 who had a very definite experience of God at the age of 6, I don’t see how you can try and put an age on some ones understanding. That’s like telling a child in starving in Africa that they don’t understand suffering.
We will be gentle - don't worry Phil!
Though Mark may lambast you for listening to Radio 2!!!
I didn't hear it today as I was in the office so had to listen to our local station mix 107 (same as the office next door to prevent music jumble hell!!)
I shall listen with interest.
I think we there are some frighteningly influential secularists out there. Other religions are not offended by our open Christianity as we are not (generally) offended by open displays of other religious devotion. It is a curious thing that we now have the whole WINTERVAL phenomenon and the celebration of SPRING not Easter - somehow paganism is an acceptable religion when others are not!
it was her laughing at people that really "annoyed" me as if other people's views didn't matter. should we send a reluctant souls response to her?
Post a Comment
<< Home