Friday, December 16, 2005

Last Post?

I think I may be going against the flow... but... I think this might be my last post here!... why?... not because there is anything wrong with "Reluctant Souls", in many ways it is great fun... I think I understand why Miz set it up, but on reflection I'm really not sure how different it is to the "normal" way of blogging, or that it has changed the way I blog? With feeds, readers and aggregators do we really need to post on the same site? (many of my blogs regular readers come via aggregator sites e.g. Bloglines or Delicious)

It also seems that though the "community" is growing in numbers it is a particular section that does most of the posting and commenting (sounds like any community I supppose!)

In terms of diversity, it is still a self-selected group and the discussions/posts are really no different from those I read on all sorts of blogs, and many of the people I love to read most don't post here so "RS" does not act as a Hub for me. Indeed becoming "geographically" located may even reduce some of the organic diversity that makes the web so exciting to me. I will still read "RS" and no doubt comment... me, keep my cyber-mouth shut!??? (said it before you did Sarah ;-)) So why bother to leave? To facilitate the question/reflection, I suppose.

I guess what I am saying is that I liked the intention to step out and do something new... I'm just not sure we have in the end done that.

3 Comments:

At 9:12 pm, Blogger Sarah Brush said...

Mark, my only comment would be... as a member your comments on the site re added without the need for moderation. That's part of the membership thing, I suppose, an element of trust.

I rather thought we had a bit of a different mix with some people I didn't agreggate before.

I also feel this is a place that isn't OWNED by one person, not even Miz who started it, so it is a neutral ground where EC discussions can begin without any agenda being assumed by the reader.

Of course I'm not saying you CAN'T go but you would still be welcome to stay.

 
At 3:40 pm, Blogger EasyRew said...

Mark said:
:: I'm really not sure how different it
:: is to the "normal" way of blogging

Why does it need to be different for you to feel able to contribute or remain a part of it?

Mark said:
:: With feeds, readers and aggregators
:: do we really need to post on the same site?

Nope - we don't need to - but we can.

I'm one of the less vocal members of the RS community. At present I don't have the time to contribute as much as I'd like (full time job, study, volunteer youth worker, etc) - but I read regularly, and comment when I feel inspired to do so.

I wasn't invited here for my uber-intelligence, blogging prowess, or deep theological insight, but for my techie web skills. So in many ways I'm sticking around for that reason, but will contribute when I think I have something worth saying.

 
At 8:41 pm, Blogger Sarah Brush said...

As indeed you just did!

Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home