Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Missing out.


I feel I am missing out, as a dyslexic I really struggle with reading, I read short articles (like a couple of pages) and things like blogs, sometimes I even manage slightly longer articles if it is something that really grabs me. But I really struggle with anything longer and always have. There are so many books I wish I had read, some of which I have started, even begun to enjoy but have lost it after a while, I find it really hard work, often having to reread bits several times, and if anything distracts me I get totally thrown. As a result I tend not to try, I stick to a couple of magazines which are interesting to me but not exactly edifying and inspiring or spiritual. A couple of months ago lots of people were talking about ‘Practicing Passion’ which sounded great and a part of me want to read it, and another part of me says that to by a copy means it would just take up more shelf space in the long run and it would never get read at least not right through. It would join the many others (most of which are now so out of date).

6 Comments:

At 11:24 am, Blogger simo said...

Hi miz

I did read your post, although i was tired at the time, so only half took it in, i should perhaps look again, i shall also have a look at Nooma DVD's cheers

 
At 1:09 pm, Blogger Pete Lev said...

Thanks for the post. Raises the question - have we made ministry & ministry training too "bookish" and how else could things be done? Podcasts?

 
At 1:38 pm, Blogger simo said...

Podcasts, now there's an idea! perhaps in this day and age this could be a good thing for more churches to be getting into for sermons! Audio books are another possibility but i guess the call for christian litriture in an audio format just isn't high enough?
Miz do you have any of these nooma DVD's could i be cheaky and borrow one?

 
At 5:28 pm, Blogger EasyRew said...

I totally sympathise with you - although I'm not dyslexic I really have to force myself to read anything of significant length. In fact I wrote about "my problem" just two days ago.

I'd also heard a lot about Practicing Passion and I started reading it last week. I only got through the Introductory Chapter though. I found it really hard going - very academic (which I am not).

Hmm - have we made ministry training too bookish? I've recently started the Christian Youthwork Certificate with CYM, and I'm very pleased with the balance of reading, practice and reflection. I'm sure I'll find it more bookish when I start the Degree next year.

As for Podcasts, I haven't used them in the study of Youth Ministry, etc, but I do find it helpful to hear other Youthworkers/Ministers talk/preach.

Re: Nooma DVDs - been thinking about getting some of these for a while. A recommendation from Miz is enough for me. Just need to convince the Deacon's to stump up the cash ;o) Wish me luck...

[long comment - sorry Simo]

Rich

 
At 5:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As another dislexic and former youth worker now priest I would say keep at it - ask for ongoing help and support from Adult Education. Reading can be really hard work (I adore magazines for the same reason)but I was shown different strategies such as reading in small doses (carrying a book around with me)I have found that at the age of 48 is is no longer the big barrier that it used to be, and most people would have no idea that I struggle with this on a daily basis.Could I also suggest that if you were diagnosed some years ago that you ask for a re-assessment since there is some really knew ways of assessment. Know I just need to make sure that I type the verifcation properly!!

Blessings

Tom

 
At 5:31 pm, Blogger Sarah Brush said...

Even those of us who enjoy reading don't always have the time. Agent K and I agreed to meet and discuss Practicing Passion chapter by chapter (which we stuck to for a while!!!) and I found the knowledge that I was going to discuss the book with someone really helped.

I might be helping to add to the pile of books on youth ministry out there as I've just been asked to contribute a chapter to one - eek and yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home