Sunday, October 30, 2005

Why not muslim

There's a fascinating discussion going on over at Ship of fools entitled "Why are you not a muslim?" It reminded me of a discussion i had only recently with a muslim I met via another website.

He discovered that I was a Christian Youth Minister and challenged me to show him in the Bible where Jesus says he is God (i.e. not the great preacher that the Muslims consider him but something more important) and I offered various passages but none of which is Jesus saying preciesly those words. For me THAT is what makes me not a Muslim - I'm a Christian. I believe that Jesus was and is the Son of God and that through his cruxifixion and resurrection he gives us forgiveness of our sins and offers us eternal life. Muslims consider that Jesus was a prophet, that he did not die but was taken up to heaven to return later.

The discussion at Ship of Fools also asks "why are you not a buddhist? or any other religion."

I'm not a Buddhist because I don't think that it all depends on ME but also (and in fact more importantly) on God. I don't believe in reincarnation either.

I know this is a bit of a definition by the negative but it does clarify why you ARE a Christian as well as why you're not something else.

Anyone else got any good thoughts on why they're not a ******* (insert religion here)

2 Comments:

At 11:20 am, Blogger simo said...

I always find these two quite good for reminding myself “Why Christian?”
John 10:30 “I and the Father are one.”
John 14:6 “I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me.”
These may not use the specific words you were talking about but I think they get the point across pretty well!

 
At 11:38 pm, Blogger Sarah Brush said...

Being a plonker is a religion??? Well certainly some people in my experience put about as much effort into it as if it were.

Seriously though to Simo... Yes those were two of the pasages I quoted to the muslim chap I was chatting to!

They say it for me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home